Saturday, December 2, 2006

Rumores

Small town gossip (rumores) is epidemic here in Deadwood. I've never been into gossip, and don't have a lot of respect for those who are. Which means I don't have a lot of respect for a lot of folks. In my opinion, spreading lies about people to make them look bad, or yourself look better, or both, shows weakness of character. Nonetheless, in Deadwood, gossip is the favorite pastime amongst many of its inhabitants. No cultural, gender or age stereotypes here: ticos, gringos, boys, girls, men and women alike all gossip. Real life is just a pale extension of high school.

Though rumors are spread primarily to hurt other people, I did have an opportunity to flip one around, get in a great laugh and gain some personal satisfaction in publicly humiliating a rumor monger. I was at my favorite watering hole having a cuba libre when I overheard my wife's name in a male conversation. She was my girlfriend at the time. I began to eavesdrop. A man whom I didn't know, and who didn't know me - or my girlfriend as it turned out - was ranting about how my girlfriend's gringo boyfriend (me) had abandoned her to return to the US. She was broken-hearted, didn't see it coming. The rant continued on: gringo's were here just to lure ticas into sex with their money, drugs and fast cars. They didn't care about ticas. They just wanted to use them. (Sad thing is, this is often true, but I was the gringo he was talking about in this instance).

I let him continue for a short while, but long enough for all of the people I knew at the watering hole to pick up on what was transpiring. I was enjoying this. You should have seen the look on this guy's face when I tossed the grenade and told him that I was the guy he was talking about. Huge laughter and caballero calls from the crowd around the bar after the pregnant pause when they realized I wouldn't beat the crap out of him. The public humiliation I dished on the guy gave me all the satisfaction I needed.

Never saw him again. Rumor has it that his family disowned him and he moved to a new province.

No comments:

Post a Comment