Wednesday, June 6, 2007

¡Mas Pura Vida!

I'm still trying to get custom interior doors for my house. I visited a cousin of my father-in-law's a couple of weeks ago to get an estimate. The idea was that he would be less expensive than someone else. But, apparently, when he saw THIS gringo drive up he changed his mind. He quoted me the gringo price. ¡Pura vida!

My pickup is on the fritz again - solenoid and/or brushes in the starter. I was able to start it yesterday morning by touching my jack rod to the starter to spark it. It then turned over. I dropped the car off at the taller in Liberia and spent the rest of the morning at a restaurant with a WiFi connection so that I could at least send and receive email. I called at lunch time to obtain a progress report. They still hadn't gotten to my truck yet. The battery on both my computer and handheld were out of juice, so I couldn't work. So I had a pizza and a couple of beers at another restaurant and caught some news. ¡Pura vida!

I ended up back at the taller around 4:30PM, drained from the excrutiating boredom. The news was bad - they didn't have the parts. They would have to be sent from S. Jose the next day. On top of that, they weren't sure the parts would work with my starter (I have a 2005 Mahindra Bolero DX Turbo-diesel. It's a joint venture between Peugeot, who makes the engine, and Mahindra of India, who makes the rest of the car and assembles the components in India). Apparently, Mahindra puts different starters in each model and changes them each year. So I'm sitting in my office in Coco today, with no Internet, awaiting more inevitably bad news. ¡Pura vida!

In the mean time I'm using La Chula (Honda NXR Bros 125 motorcycle) for transportation. I love riding the bike, but it's raining now, and toting computer equipment around on it is problematic. Not to mention the fact that I have to pick up some large items that won't fit on my bike. They'll have to wait. ¡Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment