Monday, July 11, 2011

Atardecer

Atardecer, Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Playa Hermosa, Gte.
In Spanish "late afternoon". But the way the word is used here at the beach in Costa Rica, it means "sunset". It's July, my and my daughter's birthday month and the month I have proclaimed "El Mes de la Atardecer", "The Month of the Sunset".

Playa Hermosa, Gte.
My world has been one filled with sociopaths of late and it's been bumming me out while making me angry at the same time. Alas, even Paradise has its allotment of users and liars. But I've recently found that for every liar and user out there, there's a sunset whose shear beauty and wonder pales their existence and rejuvenates my mind, body and soul - and my faith in God and humanity. And I have my wife to thank for it.

Playa Hermosa, Gte.
I've been so engrossed in trying to survive financially lately that I haven't really been paying attention to the two people in my life for whom I'm busting my ass in the first place - my wife and child. Ironic, no? So my wife finally laid down the law and told me a boatload of stuff I really didn't want to hear. It was called "the truth". And it made me feel uncomfortable and ashamed.

Laila, Playa Hermosa, Gte.
You see, I work out of our home, and even though I'm there, I'm not really "there". So we decided on a calendar where I would make myself available without any business interruptions. It consists of one hour breaks for breakfast and lunch, and no work at all after 4PM - when we all pile on La Chula and go to the beach for the evening's sunset. A simple way to save a marriage.

Laila, Playa Hermosa, Gte.
I look forward to sunset every day now. In fact it's 8:30AM and I'm already looking forward to sitting on a beach log next to Carla with a cold Pilsen while Laila leaps and bounces in the tranquil surf of Playa Hermosa. We'll collect hermit crabs for her terrarium, catch up with friends who are walking the beach, watch the baby mantas play in the waves and the cormorants dive for fish, slather ourselves in Off! to combat the chitras and zancudos and breathe in the fresh, Pacific Ocean air in the presence of no one else but each other.

Laila, Carla and Me, Playa Hermosa, Gte.
Because in the end, the only thing we have is each other, and the sunset en el Mes de la Atardecer! ¡Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment